New Siding Project – Part 12
Much as happened this week, and we’re very close to putting the new siding up.
- The rest of the new windows were put in.
- Flashing was put around all the windows except for two of the upstairs ones.
- The exterior basement door was installed.
- The foamboard and housewrap were finished.
Gerald and Ramona (Harland’s brother and his wife) have been doing some measuring and figuring in preparation for starting the siding and there are little notes written all over the house:
Even though the project isn’t done, we’ve already noticed a big difference in our home:
- The air conditioner isn’t running as much. It’s been in the low 90s with a hot south wind the last few days. On days like these, the air used to run and run and run, but now it’s not running nearly as much. At first, I actually thought there must be something wrong with the air conditioner.
- Every room feels the same temperature. Before, different rooms would be warmer or cooler, depending on which way the wind was blowing. Now it’s the same throughout the house.
- It’s quieter. I used to be able to hear traffic on the road, or someone coming up the driveway. Now, I don’t hear a thing.
I feel like I’m living in someone else’s home. It feels so snug and tight. Both Harland and I grew up in drafty old
barns houses, and we’ve never lived anywhere that is airtight. It’s going to take some getting used to.
I’m sure we’ll adjust just fine.
If you would like to catch up on the rest of our siding project, click HERE.
You can always stick your head out the door for a breath of fresh air! No it will be so nice all year round! Enjoy!
Oh yeah, you’re gonna notice a big difference come winter time. Hope things get all finished up soon.
Sorry you could not find a home for the little cat, but God Bless You for not making it a barn cat! They live miserable lives–cold in winter, hot in summer and hunted year round. They never have soft laps, soft beds and spoiling. If it isn’t adopted right away, they might keep it longer if you make a donation. Good luck.
Great progress on a huge job!! Your home is going to be lovely, snug and warm all winter.
Thanx for the update! It’s exciting to see it all come together! Will the new siding be white? We’re going to go with the blue of the chicory flower and a green trim! It looks better than that sounds! We think the outside doors will be a dark red. Of course this all depends on when and if the contractor can get to it!
It will be white. Everything on the property is white with a green roof.
I’m thrilled for you, watching the progress, and hearing about the improvements. But I have to ask — what are those pink flowers in your first photo. I’m assuming roses, but after a couple more looks, I’m not sure. They’re beautiful, for sure.
It’s a rose bush. You can learn more about it here: http://windowontheprairie.com/2011/09/20/ferns-rosebush/
THIS IS ALL GOOD STUFF!
Thanks for the update. Your house looks great and I’m sure it feels like a new house, especially now that it’s a bit warmer and quieter. I had to laugh at your last statement. Yep, sounds like life right now here too. Always busy but not as busy as you all. Have a good weekend! God bless!