New Siding Project – Part 12
Much as happened this week, and we’re very close to putting the new siding up.
- The rest of the new windows were put in.
- Flashing was put around all the windows except for two of the upstairs ones.
- The exterior basement door was installed.
- The foamboard and housewrap were finished.
Gerald and Ramona (Harland’s brother and his wife) have been doing some measuring and figuring in preparation for starting the siding and there are little notes written all over the house:
Even though the project isn’t done, we’ve already noticed a big difference in our home:
- The air conditioner isn’t running as much. It’s been in the low 90s with a hot south wind the last few days. On days like these, the air used to run and run and run, but now it’s not running nearly as much. At first, I actually thought there must be something wrong with the air conditioner.
- Every room feels the same temperature. Before, different rooms would be warmer or cooler, depending on which way the wind was blowing. Now it’s the same throughout the house.
- It’s quieter. I used to be able to hear traffic on the road, or someone coming up the driveway. Now, I don’t hear a thing.
I feel like I’m living in someone else’s home. It feels so snug and tight. Both Harland and I grew up in drafty old
barns houses, and we’ve never lived anywhere that is airtight. It’s going to take some getting used to.
I’m sure we’ll adjust just fine.
If you would like to catch up on the rest of our siding project, click HERE.