Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup
This is a hearty, satisfying soup that you can make in your slow cooker. Chunks of tender beef mingle with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and barley. I didn’t add any seasoning, but just let the ingredients speak for themselves. Serve with homemade bread or biscuits, and you’ll have the perfect meal for a fall or winter day – warm comfort food at it’s best.Printer Friendly
- 2 lb. stew meat
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 9 cups beef broth (5 – 14 ounce cans)
- 2 cups celery, washed, trimmed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into bite sized pieces (You may peel them if you like, but it is not necessary.)
- 1 cup pearl barley (NOT the quick variety)
Put the oil into a skillet, and turn on to medium-high heat. Put 1/2 of the stew meat into the skillet. Brown well on all sides. Remove from skillet and place into your slow cooker. Brown remaining beef and also place into the slow cooker.
Place the celery, onion, carrots, garlic, and potatoes into the slow cooker with the meat. Pour the broth over all, and put the lid on. Cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove lid, stir in barley, and replace lid. Cook on low for another 2 hours.